Monday, July 7, 2014

Firearm Forum Question: How to Clean Your Firearm from Corrosive Ammo

Ask A Firearms Question:
Is there a way to properly clean a firearm without damaging it after shooting Corrosive Ammo?
Thank you Ragu Willy

Use Windex with Ammonia as a pre-cleaning solution ...
If the Corrosion is severe, then mix 1 part ammonia to 2 parts of water ....

Answer:
Blog Administrator -
If your firearm is corroded from Military Surplus Ammo or Ammo that has been Coated with either a Polymer Coating or Lacquer, the best method is to pre-clean it with Windex containing Ammonia immediately after shooting. If it is heavily corroded try the Windex method first and if it does not remove all the corrosion then mix your own ammonia solution using any Ammonia with tap water, 1 part ammonia to 2 parts water. Always mix this in a glass measuring cup.

Follow these simple steps for a complete firearm cleaning to remove corrosion:
1) Spray the Windex solution onto a wire brush, run it through the barrel twice.
2) Run a dray patch cloth through the barrel.
3) Now run a wet patch with Windex solution.
4) Run dry patches until the cloth is near clean.
5) Now clean the firearm as you normally would.
Notes:
a) Using a soft cloth spray on some Windex and wipe the breach and slide areas, also the magazine.
b) Wipe off with a dry cloth.
c) Apply lubricant to all areas.

Important Note: This method is not for removing rust.


Please ADD Your Comment to this Blog.

Key Search Words: Shooting Corrosive Ammo, Corroded Firearms, Cleaning Corrosion from any Firearm, Semi Auto Handguns, Jamming, Military Surplus, Military Ammo, Military Ammunition, Surplus Ammo, Polymer Coated Ammo, Lacquered Coated Ammo, Reloading, AK47, SKS, Draco, M4, AR15, M16, M14, Assault Rifles, 223, 556, 308, M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, 30-06, 30 Caliber, 762x39, Mil Spec, Dillon Precision Reloading Equipment, Glock, Kimber, Browning, Hi-Point, Springfield Armory, S&W, Ruger, Colt, Taurus, Sig Sauer, Chiappa, CZ, H&K, Kel-Tec, Rossi, Smith Wesson, Sig, HK,  Protect Your Firearms, Firearm Accessories, Magazines, Gun Repair, Target Shooting, Gunsmith, Physics of Shooting, Gun Rights, Outdoor Shooting Range, Twitter, Pinterest, Facebook, Indoor Shooting Range, NRA, GOA, Firearms Forum, Firearms Discussion Board, Ask A Firearms Question, Q-n-A, Firearm Pictures, Cleaning Your Weapon, Safety First, Damaging Your Weapon, Gun Parts, Cabelas, Bass Pro Shops, USA Midway, Sportsman Warehouse, Defensive Weapons, Targets, Self Defense, Weapons, The Firearms Guy, Gun Rust, Corrosion, Firearm Maintenance, Field Stripping a Weapon, FMJ, Soft Point, Hollow Points, Hunting Ammo, USA Made, FMJ, Hollow Points, Flat Nose Bullets, Rounded Nose Bullets, Tracers, Hydra-Shock, +P Ammo, Lead Bullets, Copper Bullets, Steel Case Ammo, Berden Primed, Boxer Primed, Bird Shot, Wolf, Remington, Federal, Winchester, PMC, Stuck Round in Chamber, Jammed Round, Ammo Feeding Problems, Wood Dowel Rod, Gun Cleaning Kit, Windex, High Capacity, Pistols, Revolvers, Shotguns, Full Auto, Silencers, Suppressors, Rust, Rusted Firearms, Old Firearms   

To submit a Question, email it to:

Help this blog grow by joining Google Friend Connect, follow me.

Please follow me on Twitter - @firearmsqa
And on Pinterest - askafirearmsque

74 comments:

  1. Never ever leave corrosion build up in any firearm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very helpful, anyone who shoots junk ammo like TulAmmo or buys Military Surplus has run into corrosive ammo at one time or another.
    Just simply another great post.
    This is why I endorse you on my #twitter page (thereposterguy) as the best Firearms Forum site on the Internet today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sir for you valued and continued support.

      Delete
  3. this has been exceptionally helpful thank u

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are every welcome, glad to be of assistance.

      Delete
  4. Simple put and a simple application thank you Firearms Guy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ragu Willy here ,
    thank u firearm guy for posting my topic request .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always looking for great Topics to post here on The Firearms Forum site (Ask A Firearms Question).
      Thank you for your Topic submittal.

      Delete
  6. I would have never thought of using this approach to clean a firearm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes the simplest methods are the best.

      Delete
  7. interesting this makes sense thanks for the information

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome and thank you for your comment.

      Delete
  8. just surfing around Bing found your site, this is one great firearms forum, good works, please continue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found my site okay, and glad that Bing.com has finally listed it in their search engine.

      Delete
  9. Super Job, well done, heard abt this but never tried it, will try it now, thank u.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I shot six 30 round mags with TulAmmo in my Colt Ar-15, it hate this crap, tried to clean it many times, just tried your method and it works = thank ever so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem, glad I could be of assistance.

      Delete
  11. 46 Trombones here.
    Fantastic topic on a great firearm forum site.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Appreciate that, hope it was helpful.

      Delete
  12. Was reluctant about this method, but gave it a try. Works great. Thnks.
    They call me Stud Muffin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes the simplest methods work best, glad it worked out for you.

      Delete
  13. just the information i was looking for thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are certainly welcome glad to be of assist.

      Delete
  14. i hv used this method myself when the occasion arises

    regards
    uncle fuddy duddy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So have I, and works 99 percent of the time.

      Delete
  15. Important Notice to ALL Visitors from The Firearms Guy:
    Facebook Deactivated my FB Page on Saturday, July 19, 2014, no reason was given - I believe this Liberal Run Social Media Site is Anti-American; Dislikes Veterans; and is Anti-Gun Ownership. I suggest everyone reading this comment post cancel your Facebook Page now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Explains why when I tried to add you as a friend to my FB Page I could not. If I wasn't trying to promote my product I would not have an Facebook Page.
      Name withheld to prevent Facebook retaliation.

      Delete
    2. Facebook really does suck.
      I post on twitter all the time warning people not to use Facebook.
      Facebook has former Obama people on it's staff. Facebook also gives the NSA full access to everything posted on every page.
      Using Facebook is like accepting and endorsing everything Liberal.
      The commies are at the door and people just let them in.

      Delete
    3. Thank you for your support Reposter Guy.

      Delete
    4. i hv known abt facebook for years they are terrible and so damn pro liberal it makes me puke
      charles

      Delete
    5. it's a shame you had to learn the hard way about facebook everyone with any social network knowledge knows that facebook is run by the extreme far left and is anti american on every damn thing

      Walker Reid

      Delete
    6. I use to have Facebook, they cancelled my page long ago, if you post anything that is American you are blocked.

      Delete
  16. again simple low cost solution to a complex problem wow oh wow firearms guy u r the best
    charles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charles,
      Thank you sir for that gracious comment it is appreciated.

      Delete
  17. I have used that crap TulAmmo which I regret but at least now I have a method for proper cleaning, thank you firearms guy.

    ReplyDelete
  18. My Dad taught me to use a diluted ammonia solution sometime back but this is good advice for shooters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been around a long time so I am use to getting things done the old fashion way for good results at a low price if possible.

      Delete
  19. I have known about this technique for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I used this on my SKS Rifle yesterday and it works great.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Now this is real advice I can use, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. As I pass by in the stars I can't imagine how you earth people survived this long.

    Oh well, I must be off now, I have Tribbles to deliver.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have used this method on my German Mauser and SKS Rifle, it works great.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have on occasion used this cleaning method on my CZ AK47.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Must be me, when I get dirty I just toss it in the river and get another.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I endorse this method I use it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Isnt a piece supposed to be disposable after use
    just saying

    ReplyDelete
  28. In lieu of junk ammo, I reload my own.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Used this on my AK yesterday wow the barrel and breach shine now.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Foot Note: don't try and do this when you have been drinking sour mash whiskey.

    ReplyDelete
  31. i try and shoot only the good stuff but what the hell you never can tell

    ReplyDelete
  32. i tried this using ur step by step instruction above and whoopi do my ak47 is clean as the day it was new
    thank u

    ReplyDelete
  33. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  34. As they say in Australia (down under) , you are spot on.

    ReplyDelete
  35. As my grand daddy would say : ah for the good old days again.

    ReplyDelete
  36. thank u , i own a Norinco AK47 , this will be helpful in cleaning out that lacquer build up from crappy ammo

    ReplyDelete
  37. Sound advice one would be well advised to adhere to it.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Good advice, but personally I never shoot anything but quality ammo.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Thanks for sharing nice information . i like your post and all you share with us is up to date and quite informative, i would like to bookmark the page so i can come here again to read you, as you have done a wonderful job. Regards: AR15 80 percent lower

    ReplyDelete

Sorry, this BLOG is closed, please feel free to review all post for information purposes only, comments are no longer permitted because of SPAM
Thank you,
The Firearms Guy

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.