Monday, March 3, 2014

Firearm Forum Question: Guidelines for Game Hunting Rifles

Ask A Firearms Question:
Can you advise what guideline should be used in purchasing a Rifle for Hunting and for what type of game it would be used for?
Thank you The Trumpeter.

Answer:
Blog Administrator -
I haven't done any hunting in years, but I have hunted about everything there is including Big Game in North America including Alaska, and Big Game in Africa. 
Some Medium Size Game Calibers listed below can hunt some Big Game such as the 7MM and the 35 Remington.
I asked several people I know that still hunt a variety of game including small, medium, and big game animals. This is a general consensus of opinion and it is just that an opinion because hand loaded ammo can be configured differently than standard manufactured ammunition. There is no consideration for specially large bore ammo which can be found on the previous topic post - Body Armor.
Here is a compilation, use it wisely:

Identifying Rifle Calibers for Use:
Large Bore - Big Game Hunting ....
45-70; 45-90; 30-06; 300 Winchester Magnum; 8mm; 338 Lapua, 375 H&H Magnum; 454 Casull; 458 Winchester Magnum; 50 Caliber BMG.
Note - Excludes the custom and exotic calibers such as the 500 Nitro.
Primary Gun Manufacturers :
Remington
Marlin
Weatherby
Game and Animal Types :
Polar Bear; Grizzly; Alaskan Brown Bear; Moose; Caribou; Tiger; Lion; Elephant; Water Buffalo; Hippo; Rhino; Bison.


Big Bore - Medium Game Hunting ....
7MM; 44-40; 303; 308; 35 Remington; 44 Magnum; 45LC; 30-30; 30 Caliber Carbine; 300 AAC Blackout; 7.62; 223/5.56
Game and Animal Types :
Elk; Deer; Black Bear; Mountain Lion; Antelope; Mountain Sheep; Wild Hogs; Zebra; Horse; Giraffe; Kangaroo; Alligator; Coyote; Wolf.
Special Note: The Newer 300 AAC Blackout with subsonic ammunition and a suppressor (silencer) is a popular choice for hunting wild boar and coyotes at night.


Small Bore - Small Game Hunting and Fun ....
Rifle - 243; 270; 357 Magnum; 22 Magnum; 22 LR
Shotgun - 10 Gauge; 12 Gauge; 16 Gauge; 20 Gauge; 410 Gauge
Game and Animal Types :
Beaver; Possum; Muskrat; Wood Chuck; Squirrel; Rabbit; Raccoon; Turkey; Fox; Prairie Dog; Skunk; Feral Cats; Snakes.

Note: The more Popular and Effective Handguns to carry when hunting Medium or Big Game are:
41 Magnum; 44 Magnum; 45 Long Colt



Please ADD Your Comment to this Blog.

Key Search Words: Hunting, Big Game Hunting, Small Game Hunting, Weapons, 12 Gauge, 10 Gauge, 20 Gauge, 16 gauge, 28 gauge, 22lr, 22 Caliber, 22 Long Rifle, 22 Magnum, 410, 45lc, 45 Colt, 45 Long Colt, 357 Magnum, 10mm, 40 S&W, 41 Magnum, 44 Magnum, 44 Special, 30-06, 30 Caliber, M1 Carbine, 30-30, 7mm, 8mm, 300 AAC Blackout, 300 Winchester Magnum, 556, 5.56. 223, 308, 5.7x28mm, 5.45x39mm, 7.62x39mm, 7,62x51mm (NATO), 7.5x55mm, 7.62x38mm, 338 Lapua, 454 Casull, 375 H&H Magnum, 416 Magnum, 458 Winchester Magnum, 50 Caliber BMG, Red Army Ammo, Tracers, SPAM Cans, Blanks, Armor Piercing Rounds, Hyrda-Shok Ammo, Teflon Coated Bullets, Ammo, Ammunition, Handguns, Rifles, Shotguns, Firearms, Pinterest, Indoor Shooting Range, Night Sights, Laser Optics, Red Dot Scopes, Green Dot Scopes, NRA, GOA, USA Made, Chinese Made, Russian Made, Italian Made, Firearms Forum, Firearms Discussion Board, Q-n-A, Pictures, Safety First, Night Hunting, Zombie Killer, Doomsday Preppers, Survivalist, Photos, British, Russian, USA, US Made, Hunting Knife, Marlin, Winchester, Remington, Savage, Henry Rifles, Weatherby, Reloading, Dillion Press, African Big Game Hunting, North American Big Game Hunting. 

To submit a Question, email it to:

Please help this blog grow by joining Google Friend Connect, follow me.
Also, please follow me on Twitter - firearmsqa
And on Pinterest - askafirearmsque

79 comments:

  1. Some good assumptions and I can see how you arrived at most of them. Like you indicated the 35 Remington may go either way Medium or Big Game. I load my own so it will take down most Big Game without a problem. Also not so sure about the 300 Winchester Magnum for some of the Big Game listed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your input and valued comments.

      Delete
  2. this topic may interest some but not me , i dont hunt anymore , i would be more interested in a comparison to 7.62 ammo to the american 5.56 .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This could be added as a TOPIC, let me do some research on how to proceed. Thank you for your comment and suggestion.

      Delete
  3. I would concur that that list is pretty accurate some calibers omitted but a good guideline for new hunters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sir, your comments are always welcomed and helpful.

      Delete
  4. I have no interest in hunting but I did join your site today and I enjoy the read on this forum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank for joining my Google Blog, Ask A Firearms Question - The Firearms Forum.

      Delete
  5. I have always wanted to go Big Game Hunting in Africa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been there; should you go be prepared for more bugs than you can imagine.

      Delete
  6. I have hunted big game hunted Elk, Moose, and Grizzly Bear and used a 458 Win Mag a sure kill shot every time. I carried a 44 Magnum handgun as backup. That 458 Winchester Magnum kicks like a mule even with heavy clothing on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damn that's a cannon and I bet it does kick. Thanks for your input and comment.

      Delete
  7. hello firearms guy ,
    joined ur site today ,
    hell i would put my weatherby 300 winchester magnum with my nikon scope against any north american big game beast including the grizzly bear .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a few friends that own the Remington Model 700, 300 Win Mag and they swear by it.
      Thank you for joining my site.
      I look forward to more of your comments.

      Delete
  8. Personally i hv always been a money guy so i save when i can so i purchase all my firearms used. The German 8mm bolt action ww2 rifle works great for any of my huntin needs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too have purchased most of my firearms used.

      Delete
  9. Avid hunter and sportsman here, plus long distance competitive shooter. I own several rifles: a Savage 300 Win Mag; a Remington 30-06; 30-30 Winchester, Marlin 45-70;; and Marlin 22lr. I also own Several Shotguns - 410 Gauge and 12 Gauge. For the most part I would agree with your evaluation of which firearms fit which game hunting style. I also joined your site and have enjoyed reading several of the topic posts, will return when I have time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. also an avid hunter i am and like most hunters i have the appropriate shotgun and shot shell loads and rifle calibers and bullet grains for the creature i am hunting. this is a good chart for the beginner or possibly someone moving to a different animal group to hunt. i commend you on a job well done and yes indeed i have joined your site.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your input and comment it is greatly appreciated.

      Delete
  11. over from twitter i hate google not allowing my hotmail email as part of the drop down box options for commenting on you post

    on the big game - v - medium game yes some of the large bore can be used for medium game such as deer hunting , example - the 30-06

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have written to Google many time about not adding Hotmail and Hush mail to the drop down box.
      Thank You you for submitting your post and comment and having patience to deal with Google.
      I too am an avid user of the 30-06.

      Delete
  12. Who put the BANG in the BANG why you did Firearms Guy ; great stuff I have found here .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You, glad you liked it, visit often, comment often,

      Delete
  13. my best ever big game kill was a bull moose i brought in down one shot 200 yards with my remington model 700, 300 winchester magnum. dropped that big boy like stopping a moving train.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also have and use the same model Remington 700 in 300 Winchester Magnum sited at 200 yards.
      Good shooting.
      Good hunting.
      Thank You for you comment and input.

      Delete
  14. Replies
    1. It's a good rifle. I know many people who use the 7mm.

      Delete
  15. I have found my 7mm is more than adequate for anything I hunt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 7mm is a very good caliber for most North American game. Tahnk you for you comment.

      Delete
  16. Really, don't see the need but then you never can tell.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Have not hunted in a long time, my rifle is packed away in the safe, but think I will get it out today for a look-see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always good idea to check it from time to time, wipe it down, add some oil.

      Delete
  18. I own a 44 Magnum Ruger Handgun and a Marlin 44 Magnum Rifle, they get the job done. But ammo has become a real expensive nightmare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can relate. I do a lot of 45 Long Colt.

      Delete
  19. i use my armalite 5.56 for everything that i shoot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some states will allow you to hunt with what many classify as an assault rifle such as the 223/5.56.

      Delete
  20. Replies
    1. I love that gun, always wanted to own one.

      Delete
  21. Replies
    1. That's okay, I don't hunt any longer, too old.

      Delete
  22. I have a Savage 300 Win Mag which will do just fine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Rifle, I have the same in Remington.

      Delete
  23. I have a 5.56; AK-47; SKS; Remington 300 Win Mag; Remington 30-06; and 4 shotguns; and 4 handguns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would say you are pretty well adapted and prepared for almost anything.

      Delete
  24. Thanks everyone for your comments and post. If you have a subject for a Topic submit it to me via email and get your own discussion forum going right here on The Firearms Blog (Ask A Firearms Question).

    ReplyDelete
  25. I coyote hunt at night with a brand Remington 300 AAC Blackout.
    For my normal deer hunting I use a Marlin 35 Remington Lever Action.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the 300 AAC Blackout with night vision and a sound suppressor has been rated number for coyote and wild bore night hunting.
      I use to have a 35 Remington Marlin Lever Action Rifle that I hunted deer with in PA many years ago, great gun.

      Delete
  26. I have a 308 now that I hunt with. Had a 30-06 but both it and I got to old for one another, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  27. REMINGTON 30-06

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, I think the 30-06 is one of the best caliber firearms ever.

      Delete
  28. Hunters give P.E.T.A. a mental fit, and am I ever so glad. Yes indeed I hunt, as much as time allows.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I see you did not list the 22-250. It is a good varmint rifle, which includes coyotes, for long distance around 400 yards. Most people now use the 223 which i good at 250 to 300 yards. Some people even use the 22-250 for deer hunting. The ammo is still available, I see it at Walmart but the 223 can be found anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In states that allow hunting with an AR15 style rifle, the 5.56 FMJ round is better than the 22-250 in my opinion mainly because the ammo is abundant and easy to obtain.

      Delete
  30. I use to hunt with a Remington Model 700, 30-06.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your input and your sacrifice to our great country.

      Delete
  31. I hunt with a 30-06 and it gets the job done. I buy my ammunition through surplus. I am a frugal guy and if I am lucky enough to get a deer, I eat what I kill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A 30-06 was always my first choice for many years, it makes a great hunting rifle.

      Delete
  32. mr firearms guy ....
    i no longer have the time to hunt but really enjoyed the game sport when i was young ...
    i always hunted with a 20 gauge shotgun or a 30-30 winchester lever action rifle ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Understood, I have just gotten to old to tramp around the woods and mountains.

      Delete
  33. I do not hunt, but I own a 308 and a 5.56, looking to get a 762x39 next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have both the 223/5.56 and the 7.62x39 I have no need for a 308. I also own a 300 win mag.

      Delete
  34. At the ranch we have a variety of rifles and shotguns which include a Winchester 30-30, Marlin 45-70, M1 Garand 30-06, Marlin 44, and Henry 45lc. We reload all our own ammunition except 22.
    For 22 we have an old Remington and Marlin.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I hunt things that go bump bump in the night so my AR15 works just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hunting has never been part of my life style, I'll just get my meat at the grocery store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with this poster but if chaos erupts there will be no grocery stores to get anything from. So over the last year we have started prepping, not to the extreme some call themselves Preppers but enough to last us 30 days in case of any emergency.

      Delete
  37. Replies
    1. You probably meant 4 legged ones but thats okay, many gun owners are not hunters.

      Delete
  38. i am and always have been a 30-06 type of guy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great gun I did most of my hunting when I was young with a 30-06 and did quite well with one.

      Delete
  39. Promised to post this for the Ben Avery Outdoor Shooting Rang.
    Went to the range on Friday, June 13, 2014 with my NEW Savage 300 Win Mag, Model 111 Trophy Hunter with Nikon Scope.
    The Ben Avery Gun Range offers shooters for a flat fee of $20.00 they will sight in your rifle at 100 yards. You bring the rifle and ammo, Ben Avery supplies the marksman, targets, bench rest, and range scope. Then after sighting they fine tune the target acquisition with you on your rifle.
    Ben Avery did a great job, this is the second rifle they have sighted in for me.
    I highly recommend using their expertise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is good information, thanks for sharing.

      Delete

Please leave a related firearms comment to this post.
Thank you,
The Firearms Guy