Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Firearm Forum Question: How to Keep Scope Mount Screws from Coming Lose

Ask A Firearms Question:
Can you please give some advice on how to keep my Scope Mount Screws from coming lose?
Thank you Captain Hook Knook

Scope Rings and Scope Mounts:









Answer:
Blog Administrator -
Yes, the best way to keep screws and nuts tight on firearm accessories such as scopes is to use Loctite Threadlocker Blue 242, see pictures above.
Apply a small amount to threaded area of the nut or screw that goes into the mount or ring. This particular product keeps most screws and nuts tight but is not permanent and you can still remove the accessory device such as a scope without damaging the screw, nut, device, or firearm. In some cases it may be beneficial to apply the Loctite to the backside of the screw slot, each type of device is different.
Important: Never tighten the screws or nuts to tight, they strip easily and you can damage the device, especially a scope. Also Loctite makes several products so make sure you buy the correct one I have listed.


Please ADD Your Comment to this Blog.

Key Search Words: Picatinny Rail, Scopes, Scope Mounts, Scope Rings, Scope Screws, Scope Nuts, Red Dot Scopes, Green Dot Scopes, Sniper Scopes, Nikon Scopes, Firearm Accessories, Assault Rifles, Sniper Rifles, DPMS, Armalite, Bushmaster, Colt Firearms, STAG, Glock, Ruger, Sig Sauer, Gun Repair, Loctite, Beretta, Browning, S&W, Smith-Wesson, Remington, Marlin, Mossberg, Ithaca, Firearms, Rifles, Semi Auto, Full Auto, M14, M16, M4, SKS, AK47, Recoil Pads, Laser Sights, Laser Mounts, Flashlight Mounts, ArchAngel Conversion Kits, Fixed Iron Sights, Target Shooting, Gunsmith, Physics of Shooting, Gun Rights, Outdoor Shooting Range, Twitter, Pinterest, Indoor Shooting Range, NRA, GOA, Firearms Forum, Firearms Discussion Board, Ask A Firearms Question, Q-n-A, Pictures, Cleaning Your Weapon, Safety First, Damaging Your Weapon, Gun Parts, Cabelas, Bass Pro Shops, USA Midway, Sportsman Warehouse, Hunting, Defensive Shotguns, Body Armor, Targets, Self Defense, Handguns, Weapons, USMC, Snipers, The Firearms Guy    

To submit a Question, email it to:

Please help this blog grow by joining Google Friend Connect, follow me.
Also, please follow me on Twitter - firearmsqa
And on Pinterest - askafirearmsque

66 comments:

  1. I have used Loctite on many occasions, it's great, but as you said make sure you buy the right one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank u 4 posting my firearms question.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome and thank you for your question submittal.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you for visiting the Firearms Forum (Ask A Firearms Question).

      Delete
  4. This is very good advice, especially for the beginner. Large caliber rifles and assault weapons often make the screws or nuts come lose causing the scope to shift and you begin to miss your target.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your valued comment and input, and thank you for retweeting and favoring many of my Twitter Tweets.

      Delete
  5. I have tried this on my ArchAngel Red/Green Dot Scope but the one of the 2 nuts will still work lose, any ideas ???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The nut may be stripped out, check that first and replace, if not then use Loctite SuperGlue, but note that this is permanent. To remove it you will need Finger Nail Polish Remover and that will also remove the finish on the nut and device, don't get any on the firearm it will remove the bluing.

      Delete
  6. This stuff works pretty well, need to make sure all the dirt and oil is cleaned off before applying.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting and your valued input and comment.

      Delete
  8. Thank u , I am liking this .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for visiting The Firearms Forum (Ask A Firearms Question).

      Delete
  9. Many have been asking when a NEW Topic will be posted. One is coming soon over the next few days, please be patient, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. may ur camels stay healthy and ur wives fertile.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is good info for those just getting into scopes, especially the red-green dot optics found on many M4/M14/M16 style rifles.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really great post here, enjoyed the read ```` when will there be a new topic posted ????

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just here for a look see my name is Lew be back sometime and thank you for this board.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Often times this is attributed to the quality of the item purchased. But in a pinch this method will do.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hunters -///\///\///- If you shoot it please eat it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most hunter will eat the game they shoot or give it away to the hungry.

      Delete
  16. Damn, I changed my scope out after having this problem. Have not had the lug style type nuts come lose on the new scope but if they do I will certainly try this. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes the quality of the product is a factor in these nuts or parts working lose. Glad to see your problem was resolved.

      Delete
  17. Another technique I have used for my hunting rifle scope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have also used it myself on several occasions.

      Delete
  18. mr firearms guy ....
    i have used this method with success over the years ...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Again thanks for the info this is very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome and thank you for visiting, please come again.

      Delete
  20. good advice this generally works

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, it usually worked pretty good.

      Delete
  21. Benn there done that afterall I need my scope to stay tight to get rid of them damn cats.

    ReplyDelete
  22. My buddy showed me this trick about 5 years ago it really works.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have a pretty expensive Nikon Scope on my AR15 so I have never had a scope mount issue but if I do I shall employ this method .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nikons are very good and generally don't have this issue.

      Delete
  24. I have always had a problem keeping my screw tight.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I only shoot with iron sights or with a laser.

    ReplyDelete
  26. No problems on any of our red/green dot scopes on our AR15's or on the Lasers mounted under our Glocks. But will keep this advice on hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great and thank you for your comment and continued support of The Firearms Forum (Ask A Firearms Question).

      Delete
  27. more great info here and by the way i just joined ur site today.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I use iron sights but am thinking of getting a red/green dot optic scope and will keep this in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I have not had any issues with my scope but thankx bunch who knows i may need this someday

    ReplyDelete
  30. if it is the screw thread itself u might also try some plumbers tape

    ReplyDelete
  31. I have a high quality Vortex Rifle Scope and I have never had an issue but if I do I shall indeed follow your advice.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks for posting this info. I just to let you know that I just check out your site and I find it very interesting and informative. I can't wait to read lots of your posts. Regards: AR15 80 percent lower

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a related firearms comment to this post.
Thank you,
The Firearms Guy