Thursday, March 20, 2014

Firearm Forum Question: 45 ACP CCI Shotshell Review for Self-Defense

Ask A Firearms Question:
Are 45 ACP Shot Shells from CCI effective for self defense?
Thank you Mr. Nowhere

The 45acp CCI Shot Shell, comes 10 cartridges per box.
CCI states that the 45acp ammo is for Snakes, Pest, Rodents, and Small Varmints.
The plastic tipped capsule contains #9 Shot and produces a 15 to 18 foot spread pattern at a firing distance of 15 feet with a muzzle velocity of 1,100 fps. The Youtube Video posted below shows testing the ammo under real conditions. The retail price is expensive at about $2.00 per round ($20.00 per box).

Important Note: If you elect to purchase any of this type of ammunition check to make sure the plastic cap containing the shot pellets is not cracked or broken. Shot shell pellets that come lose could damage your handgun.

Answer:
Blog Administrator -
NO, the CCI Birdshot ammo that comes in 22LR, 9mm, 45acp, and 45LC are designed for small varmints and snakes. The Youtube Video below pretty much shows the effectiveness of putting birdshot in a 45 ACP Cartridge.
You could get better results by loading your own ammo, especially in a 45 Long Colt such as my Ruger Vaquero Single Action Revolver, but again it still would be for varmints and snakes more than use on a 2-legged creature known as man.

Youtube Video of a 45 ACP Semi-Auto Handgun Firing CCI Birdshot


Pellet Shot Size Chart, notice #9 Shot on the Chart:
Conclusion: I would not recommend any of these ammo calibers for self-defense. Use the ammunition for what it was designed for; or don't use them at all. Also I think they are too expensive for what you get.


Please ADD Your Comment to this Blog.

Key Search Words: CCI, Shot Shell Ammo, Bird Shot, Buckshot, Taurus Judge, Shooting Snakes, Shooting Varmints, Shooting Birds, Shooting Pest, Shooting Rodents, Rattlesnakes, Feral Cats, Stray Dogs, Pigeons, Snakes, Self Defense, Semi Auto, Glock, Colt, Ruger, Handguns, Weapons, Gun Repair, S&W, Smith-Wesson, Firearms, Target Shooting, Gunsmith, Physics of Shooting, Gun Rights, Outdoor Shooting Range, Twitter, Pinterest, Indoor Shooting Range, NRA, GOA, Firearms Forum, Firearms Discussion Board, Ask A Firearms Question, Q-n-A, Pictures, Cleaning Your Weapon, Safety First, Damaging Your Weapon, Gun Parts, 45acp, 45lc, 9mm, 22lr, Long Colt, 45 ACP, Reloading, Dillion Precision Presses, Vaquero, Blackhawk, Cabelas, Bass Pro Shops, USA Midway, Sportsman Warehouse, Cheaper Than Dirt, Ammo, Ammunition, Hunting, Hiking, ATV Riding, Horseback Riding, Fishing, Camping, Farming, Ranching, PETA, Shotguns, Body Armor, Pellet Size, Shot Size, Targets, The Firearms Guy     

To submit a Question, email it to:

Please help this blog grow by joining Google Friend Connect, follow me.
Also, please follow me on Twitter - firearmsqa
And on Pinterest - askafirearmsque

Important Notice: My Twitter Account was hacked on March 20, 2014 and Twitter Temporarily Suspended my page, but they have fully restored me and removed all the Hacker Links. I did NOT send out any Tweets with an attachment, so don't open them. The issue with Twitter has been resolved and my followers returned.

56 comments:

  1. Over from your Twitter Page post, interesting review and I concur fully, hell just carry a shotgun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for visiting and commenting.

      Delete
  2. Saw your LINK on Twitter, here I am. Yeah what flipping idiot spends $2.00 per round on this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for visiting and commenting, and agreed the cost is way prohibitive for anything you get.

      Delete
  3. Oh Mr. Firearms Guy are you on target today. Those CCI or any other brand shot shell cartridges for handguns, especially 22 Caliber are worthless. My buddy shot a Rattlesnake, about a 5 footer, with his 45acp and all it did was piss the snake off. I killed it with my 12-Gauge SxS 2 3/4-inch Coach Shotgun with Hammers using #6 shot at about 20 feet. Cut it right in half.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great response, really appreciate your input that ought to just about sum it up whether to use or not use.

      Delete
    2. Damn, not worth much are they? Had 5 rounds given to me for my Glock 45 ACP, never used them, guess I wont.

      Delete
  4. from twitter , u got 2 be kidding me huh , $2 per shell not with my money !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LoL, thank you for visiting and commenting.

      Delete
  5. this is roof ppl will buy just about anything .

    i would like to see a topic on keeping your nuts tight ... as in scope mounts and other devices so they wont loosen up when shooting ... what is the best thing to use ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LoL - I will see what I can do. And, thank you for your comment.

      Delete
  6. Huh I dont think so. NOT for me, nope, wont have them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. TWITTER Followers - Be advised my Twitter Account - firearmsqa - was hacked, I am trying to correct this but may have to set up a whole new Twitter account.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear that, I have a Twitter account but I rarely ever use it, and this has proven I shouldn't.

      Delete
    2. It does perturb me that Twitter seems to punish the user for no fault of their own instead of going after the culprit who hacked my account page.

      Delete
  8. Hello Firearms Guy - -
    Yes sir, your Twitter Page was hacked and it has been shut down by Twitter - - so much for their stupid security - - just like Twitter, blame the user for their deficiency.

    Speaking of deficiencies - - whats up with Google not allowing me to sign in either with my Hotmail or Live email account?

    Onto the topic - -
    I see no practical use in having this ammo other than to say - - I have it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I have contacted Twitter, no reply yet, but I can access my page, but all my Followers are gone.

      Many like yourself have either commented here or via email that Google does not have in their drop down box a choice for: Hotmail; Live Email; or Hush Mail. I have contacted Google many times but they have done nothing.

      Good point about the topic matter, I agree some people just want to say - Look What I Bought?

      Delete
  9. There will always be those who need every toy out there but I am not one of them. I would not waste my money on this. Be practical people carry a shotgun, I carry a single barrel 23/4 inch 410 Gauge when I trek through the desert.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. Thank you for your comment. I agree when I go out I always have a shotgun with me along with my handgun.

      Delete
  10. Felder Karb no way in this dimension would I accept the use of such a non essential item.
    I must return to selling my Tribbles throughout he known universe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LoL.
      Hope your space ship is in good working order and may you stay at lest 2 parsecs ahead of Captain Kirk and the Enterprise.

      Delete
  11. a visitor from twitter here
    ditto on google and the drop down box choices ,, with no hotmail ,, it sicks

    looks like u r back at twitter mr firearms guy ,, glad to have u

    as for this topic i do not get it ,, personal defense come on ,, people look at the end of the video carefully
    i could see stinging deer eating ur veggies or maybe a raccoon getting into ur garbage ,, but then cci does say its only for varmints

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, my Twitter Page seems to be working and I'd like to thank Twitter for that. Need to clean out hundreds of post by the hacker on my tweets that will take me awhile. Once I get Twitter back to normal, I will post a NEW Topic here.

      You are 100 percent correct CCI states that the ammo is for snakes and varmints it never indicates it's for self-defense.

      Delete
  12. early morning twitter now here see u got ur page back thats a good thing
    when will u be back posting to twitter
    need to get going now off to dennys for a grand slam breakfast

    concerning this issue topic i new about these cci birdshot style ammo and i just dont see any value in them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment and post.
      As indicated in the reply above, my Twitter Page is working again and I will be over soon as time permits. Once I get the page cleaned up, I will start my Tweets again and post a New Topic here.

      On your comment I agree the CCI Ammo has limited use and for the use intended I would prefer a shotgun.

      Delete
  13. hi there Firearms Guy,
    See your Twitter Page is back up, are you coming back soon?

    About this type of ammo, not for me, nor for self-defense or for animal rodent snake control.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your input and comment -
      Yes, my Twitter Page is back up, fully working, no problems, and Twitter has removed all the bad Hacker Spam links. I have played it safe and gotten rid of all my 3rd party Twitter users/Apps.

      Yes, most people here have commented that they see no real use or need for this type of ammo.

      Delete
  14. In Wall Street we call this good marketing, whereby you essentially take a worthless product and market it well turning it into a profit maker. It obviously is selling and making CCI money or it wouldn't be on the market any longer : Dwell on that one.

    So can we expect a new topic post soon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting observation, thank you for your comment and input.

      As for a new topic, I had planned to put one up Sunday but got tied up, I will try soon to get a new one posted.

      Delete
  15. my comment is in 2 parts,
    1- this is a great site, enjoyed looking around.
    2- i would not buy or use this ammo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comments and visiting my Firearms Forum (Ask A Firearms Question), it is greatly appreciated. Join me on Twitter #firearmsqa

      Delete
  16. Replies
    1. Most people seem to agree with your assessment.

      Delete
  17. Replies
    1. Most here seem to agree with your assessment.

      Delete
  18. Hunters -///\///\///- If you shoot it please eat it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Replies
    1. That seems to be the general agreement by comment posters here.

      Delete
  20. Sorry but isn't the invention of a shotgun suppose to do this so much better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In most cases yes, but the concept here is less firepower for a smaller object.

      Delete
  21. mr firearms guy must ....
    personally , i agree with many posters here ...
    i see no reason to own this ammo type ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That seems to be the general consensus of opinion.

      Delete
  22. ppl will spend money on almost anything hell this reminds me of the pet rock

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A commonly shared opinion here.

      Delete
    2. I fully agree ur thinking on this topic.

      Delete
  23. I wouldn't spend money on this if I had bats in my belfry.

    ReplyDelete
  24. For most varmint the barn cats get them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats true for a farmer or rancher such as yourself.

      Delete
  25. For me, buying this, is equivalent to owning a Windows Computer, which is total crap.

    ReplyDelete
  26. might as well let my kid shoot the varmint with a damn bb gun

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a related firearms comment to this post.
Thank you,
The Firearms Guy