Thursday, June 19, 2014

Firearm Forum Question: What Causes Semi Auto Handguns to Jam

Ask A Firearms Question:
Why does my Taurus 9mm Semi Auto Handgun Jam?
Thank you Jennifer.

Below are some manufacturers of Semi Auto Handguns, most manufactures make a variety of calibers, these all share the same general issues. Many believe the 9mm is more subject to jamming than other calibers, but I have not found that to be true with the 3 brands of 9mm I own - Glock; Browning; and Beretta.

9mm Handguns by Manufacturer:
Taurus ....
Beretta ....
 Browning Hi-Power ....
 Chiappa ....
Colt ....

 CZ 85 ....
 Glock ....
H & K ....

 Hi-Point ....
 Kel-Tec ....
 Kimber ....
 Rossi ....
 Ruger ....
 S&W ....
 Sig Sauer ....
Springfield Armory ....

Various Types of Ammo (ammunition) for 9mm Semi Auto Handguns. Most of these types are available in all the common calibers except 22:

FMJ (full metal jacket) ...
 Hollow Point ...
Round Soft Nose ...
Flat Nose ...
Wolf Steel Case, Lacquered Coated, Berden Primed ...
Hydra-Shock ...
+P ...
Sub-Sonic (for use with Suppressor / Silencer) ...
Tracers ...
Bird Shot ...
Bullet Chart for 9mm Ammo .....

Answer:
Blog Administrator -
Included in this Topic Post, found above, are the typical firearm manufacturers of the most common caliber semi auto handguns along with various types of ammo for most large center fire handguns including the 9mm.

Jamming problems can exist with any manufacturer of a firearm, any ammo manufacturer, or any caliber.

One typical mistake gun owners make is when they buy a NEW firearm they think it is out of the box ready to shoot. This is not true. The firearm, especially a semi-auto handgun should be stripped down for cleaning, thoroughly cleaned, inspected, and well lubricated before shooting it for the first time. Make sure the slide is operating smoothly and the magazine spring is not hanging up (sticking).

Jamming Problems can be caused by a variety of things including a combination of items.

The most common causes of Jamming are:
1) The firearm is dirty.
2) The firearm is not well lubricated.
3) The ammo (ammunition) being used, i.e. FMJ, FN, RN, HP, etc. Some types of ammo do not feed well in some firearms.
4) The Brand of Ammo being used, i.e. Federal, Remington, Winchester, PMC, Wolf, etc. It is very important to note that ammo brands shoot differently in almost every gun, and semi auto handguns are no different.
5) After Market, 3rd Party Barrels such as Lone Wolf Threaded Extended Barrels. If this is the cause call Lone Wolf, return the barrel they can generally hone, buff, or file the barrel so it will not jam.
6) The Magazine. People tend to max out a magazine capacity. If a magazine will hold 10-rounds, I recommend only putting in 8 or 9 rounds. This reduces the stress on the magazine spring allowing for smoother feed action.
7) Magazine Loading. Believe it or not when loading a magazine the ammo often times does not line up properly, so after loading tap the magazine with the bullet facing up to make sure all the ammo in the mag is aligned for proper feeding. Often times using a speed loader will help but you should still always tap the magazine. See my Homemade Video below:

8) The Magazine may be very dirty or the magazine spring is old and cannot feed the rounds correctly.
9) After Market, 3rd Party Magazines. Some of these are just junk. You get what you pay for. Many of these are notorious for causing jamming.
10) Modified Firearms, such as a trigger pull, after market triggers and spring assemblies.
11) After Market, 3rd Party Caliber modifications, i.e. using your center fire caliber semi auto handgun to shoot rim fire 22 caliber ammo. Generally this involves replacing the entire slide and using only the frame and grip.
12) Reloads (reloaded ammo). Even the best reloaders have problems on occasion. 
13) Mil Spec or Foreign made ammo such as Berden Primed Lacquered Coated Rounds. The lacquer heats up causing jamming.
14) Old or Corrosive Ammo.
15) Your firearm is rusty or corroted (this can be dangerous to shoot).
16) Your weapon is wet (if so, field strip it and clean).
17) Extreme cold weather can cause a weapon to jam or mis-fire.

Important Safety Hint When Shooting:
Have a spare Empty Magazine in case you need to pull the slide back and lock it in place. I usually have a 5 or 10 round Mag on hand for this use.
Most Common Jamming Issues in a Semi Auto Firearm:



Here are the STEPS to Clear a Jammed Round:
1) Make sure the firearm is safely pointed away from you or anyone else.
2) Take the Loaded Magazine out.
3) Put the Empty Magazine in.
4) Pull the Slide Back till it locks in place. This should eject the round but if it doesn't reach in and pull it out with your fingers.
5) If the Round Ejects okay, check the firearm for damage, look at the chamber and ejection port.
6) Put the Empty Magazine back in, clear the slide action a few times.
7) Now put the loaded magazine in and feed one round and manually eject it. If it functions okay you are ready to shoot. If it jams again see the most common causes of jamming listed above.

Here are the STEPS to Clear a Stuck Round in the Chamber:
1) Make sure the firearm is safely pointed away from you or anyone else.
2)Take the Loaded Magazine out.
3) Put the Empty Magazine in.
4) Pull the Slide back till it locks in place.
5) Remove the Empty Magazine.
6) Using a piece of Wood (NO Metal) gently shove it through the end of the barrel. This should push the round out safely. If it does not, stop using the firearm and take it to a gunsmith. Do NOT place any magazine back in the firearm and do NOT release the slide and close the gun.

To CLEAR a Stuck Round in the Chamber always use wood, I recommend a Wood Dowel, these can be purchased from Home Depot; or you can use a Chinese Bamboo Chopstick, see my homemade video below:


My Glock Model 30, 45 ACP with Lone Wolf Barrel shown in this homemade video ....
You should get a dowel rod according to your caliber diameter. I have one for my AR15 which works on all my 22's; this one that works on my 45LC and 45ACP; and I have one for my three 9mm handguns.


Never Ever use any type of Metal to clear a round stuck in the chamber including:
1) A Cleaning Rod.
2) A Wire Brush.
3) An Ice Pick.
4) A Screw Driver.






Please ADD Your Comment to this Blog.

Key Search Words: Semi Auto Handguns, Jamming, Military Surplus, Military Ammo, Military Ammunition, Surplus Ammo, Reloading, Dillon Precision Reloading Equipment, Glock, Kimber, Browning, Hi-Point, Springfield Armory, S&W, Ruger, Colt, Taurus, Sig Sauer, Chiappa, CZ, H&K, Kel-Tec, Rossi, Smith Wesson, Sig, HK,  Protect Your Firearms, Firearm Accessories, Magazines, Gun Repair, Target Shooting, Gunsmith, Physics of Shooting, Gun Rights, Outdoor Shooting Range, Twitter, Pinterest, Facebook, Indoor Shooting Range, NRA, GOA, Firearms Forum, Firearms Discussion Board, Ask A Firearms Question, Q-n-A, Firearm Pictures, Cleaning Your Weapon, Safety First, Damaging Your Weapon, Gun Parts, Cabelas, Bass Pro Shops, USA Midway, Sportsman Warehouse, Defensive Weapons, Targets, Self Defense, Weapons, The Firearms Guy, Gun Rust, Corrosion, Firearm Maintenance, Field Stripping a Weapon, Corrosive Ammo, FMJ, Soft Point, Hollow Points, Hunting Ammo, USA Made, FMJ, Hollow Points, Flat Nose Bullets, Rounded Nose Bullets, Tracers, Hydra-Shock, +P Ammo, Lead Bullets, Copper Bullets, Lacquered Coated Ammo, Steel Case Ammo, Berden Primed, Boxer Primed, Bird Shot, Wolf, Remington, Federal, Winchester, PMC, Stuck Round in Chamber, Jammed Round, Ammo Feeding Problems, Wood Dowel Rod, Gun Cleaning Kit    

To submit a Question, email it to:

Help this blog grow by joining Google Friend Connect, follow me.

Please follow me on Twitter - @firearmsqa
And on Pinterest - askafirearmsque

79 comments:

  1. Wow oh wow what a great topic post. This is indeed very helpful, people take heed to this one.
    Thank you Mr. Firearms Guy.

    Impeach Obama Now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your input it is greatly appreciated.

      Delete
  2. Nicely done, informative, detailed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just simply another outstanding topic post, so well laid out with complete explanation for trouble shooting from any shooter novice to the expert.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comments are always welcomed and appreciated.

      Delete
  4. On my #twitter page I have endorsed you as the best Firearms Forum anywhere. Visit and follow my tweets @thereposterguy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not expect that but I am very humbled and with great appreciation thank you.

      Delete
    2. Great idea, I will endorse you also, post it on my #twitter page as well.

      Delete
    3. Agreed the best Gun Forum around.

      Delete
  5. Mr. Firearms Guy,
    You just keep getting better and better.
    Great post, excellent topic, well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree.
      Facebook visitor

      Delete
    2. Thank you sir and your comments are appreciated, please visit again soon.

      Delete
  6. All gun owners should heed this advice and use it as a reference point.

    Please don't forget, I am running for Governor of Arizona in 2014, if you are an Arizona resident please vote for me. I am not affiliated with any party and I am running an Internet Only Campaign that will require Voters in Arizona to write in my name = DigitalMan

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have downloaded this post for future reference to my space computer.

    I must be off now, I have Tribbles to deliver.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not a gun owner but wish I was. Live where they are banned.

    ReplyDelete
  9. hey I like to use sub sonic I like quiet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Based on your moniker I wonder why - LoL

      Delete
    2. i agree the sub sonic 22 are just great for getting rid of rats

      Delete
  10. This is an excellent subject and very informative. Following this advice can prevent permanent damage to your firearm, or an unnecessary trip to a gunsmith.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your valued evaluation and input.

      Delete
  11. This is a very very good topic and as some have said here I fully agree take this advice because at sometime all firearms jam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you sir and please visit again soon.

      Delete
  12. A job well done this Firearms Forum just keeps getting better and better, please keep up the good works.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Every firearm jams eventually. I have 2 Glcok 40's and both have jammed on me. Some guns feed anything and some ammo just wont work so its a trial and error. I have found that Federal works best in my Glocks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree with your assessment and have encountered exactly the same conditions with most of my firearms.

      Delete
  14. This has been so helpful, thank u firearms guy ....

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have a Taurus 9mm also along with a Hi-Point, yeah I know they are not top of the line but you buy what you can afford.
    I have had jamming issues with both and this forum has been most helpful and explains a lot.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. People buy what there budget allows.

      Delete
  16. Back in Chi Town only the criminals and cops have guns, may digress, hell this is Chicago there is no difference they invented corruption. As a hospital janitor often in the ER I saw many things (read some great stories on my blog). Don't give up your gun rights wherever you live and if you do there is NO going back.
    Now think about that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said although unfortunately many never listen till it's too late.

      Delete
  17. Yes, I completely agree with your evaluation and topic listing, i.e. every gu jams sooner or later, many firearms do it quite often.
    I also agree with the posters that lately Federal Ammo seems to work best in my handgun.

    ReplyDelete
  18. If Noah only had a good handgun, say a nice Ruger SR 22 with a suppressor he could have controlled them damn rabbits breeding like there was no tomorrow.

    Oh yes I recently bought a brand new Ruger SR22 and have shot Federal, Winchester, Remington, CCI, and Aguila 22 caliber ammo ... No Jamming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LMAO
      I also have a Ruger SR22 they are great handguns.

      Delete
  19. Fuzzy Bear Says: I like it, I do, and so should you !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I was at the gun range the other day and a guy's handgun jammed. He got pissed off when he couldn't get it to work so he started pounded on it. The range office came over to assist, and he got angry with him. Then another range officer came over, got the firearm unjammed and they told him that was it for the day, go home. People?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Bet this site just drives Liberals crazy but I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. i shall put this in the old grey matter storage for sure ,,,, i will i will

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some reason your comment was posted multiple times, probably a Google Brain FART, so I deleted 2 of them.

      And, thank you for your comment and input, hope this world for you.

      Delete
  23. i have experienced jamming with my gun before and this has been most helpful for future occurrences

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad I could be of assistance, good luck.

      Delete
  24. Damn fine job well done Firearms Guy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bad Barbie for your comment.

      Delete
  25. 46 Trombones here.
    I do not imagine anyone who has owned and used firearms on a regular basis has not had one jam at one time or another.
    Try unjamming one when it's snowing, your fingers are to cold to work on the damn hunting rifle, and you are more than mile from your pick-up truck. I know I hunted in Minnesota for years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree, it isn't if the firearm will jam but when.

      Delete
  26. simple put this is a terrific posting lots of data and well organized

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comments and input.

      Delete
  27. My Name is Gunslinger and I avoid hand gun jamming by using a revolver.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True that revolvers have less jamming problems but even they can have hangups with ejecting the empty casing from the cylinder or if the handgun has a misfired round in the chamber. This is why I always get a complete action job done on all my revolvers.

      Delete
  28. Important Notice to ALL Visitors from The Firearms Guy:
    Facebook Deactivated my FB Page on Saturday, July 19, 2014, no reason was given - I believe this Liberal Run Social Media Site is Anti-American; Dislikes Veterans; and is Anti-Gun Ownership. I suggest everyone reading this comment post cancel your Facebook Page now.

    ReplyDelete
  29. i own quite a few upper cost end firearms and they hv all jammed at one time or another i do realize this is often the ammo choices one makes
    charles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jamming happens to all of us at one time on a variety of firearms, especially those with semi-auto feed or pump action.

      Delete
  30. Simply put, a fantastic post, job well done, perfection by you Mr. Firearms Guy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you ever so much for your comment.

      Delete
  31. It seems more jamming occurs now than when I was young. I think it's due to the poor quality of ammo made by manufacturers especially Winchester and Remington.

    ReplyDelete
  32. That's why I only use single action cowboy style revolvers.

    ReplyDelete
  33. now this was a post of great value to me
    thank you firearms guy
    just packed full of goodies i can use

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't have said it better, I concur fully.

      Delete
  34. Now this is valuable information I can use.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Knock on wood, no issues so far with any I have.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Decided to shoot my lever action 12 gauge shotgun yesterday, damn Winchester 2 3/4 inch #6 shot kept jamming.

    ReplyDelete
  37. One of the best present topics on any forum about guns I have ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  38. This post is top quality everyone should be and absorb what is written. Well done Mr. Firearms Guy.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry, this BLOG is closed, please feel free to review all post for information purposes only, comments are no longer permitted because of SPAM
Thank you,
The Firearms Guy

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.