Friday, August 8, 2014

Firearm Forum Question: The M1 30-06 Garand Rifle

Ask A Firearms Question:
=> combined two questions into one Topic Post ....
1) Can you do a complete Topic on the M1 30-06 Rifle used in WW2 like you did for the M1 30 Caliber Carbine?
Thank you The Anti P.E.T.A. Blog
2) Can you tell me anything about the 30-06 being used as a Sniper Round in Vietnam?
Thank you FW Callaway

Some photos of the M1 30-06 Garand Rifle used in WWII, Korea, and Vietnam:
The Basic M1 30-06 Garand Rifle with Stripper Clips ....
The M1 30-06 Garand Rifle View ....
Loading the M1 30-06 Garand Rifle with a Stripper Clip ....
Basic Function of M1 30-06 Garand Rifle ....
The M1 30-06 Garand Rifle in WW2 ....
The Basic M1 30-06 Garand Rifle in Korea with Bayonet ....
The M1 30-06 Garand Ammo Belt (holds stripper clips) ....
USMC WWII Training on the M1 30-06 Garand Rifle with Bayonet at Boot Camp ....
U.S. Marine in WW2 with his M1 30-06 Garand Rifle ....
The M1 30-06 Garand Sniper Rifle ....
U. S. Sniper with his M1 30-06 Garand Rifle with Scope ....
The M1 30-06 Garand Rifle with Grenade Launcher Attachment, WW2 ....
The M1 30-06 Military Ball Ammo ....

The M1 30-06 Military Armor Piercing Ammo ....
The M1 30-06 Military Tracer Ammo ....

The M1 30-06 Hunting Ammo ....

The M1 30-06 Big Game Hunting Ammo ....
USMC Guard with his M1 30-06 Garand Semi-Auto Rifle ....
Some WW2 Poster Ads using the M1 30-06 Garand Rifle ....


Answer:
Blog Administrator -
The M1 Garand 30-06 is the Big Brother to the M1 30 Caliber Carbine previously posted as a Topic here on the Firearms Forum site (Ask A Firearms Question) by the Firearms Guy.
The M1 Garand 30-06 is considered the weapon that won WWII (World War 2). It was a semi-automatic rifle based on the original design of the M1 Springfield bolt action rifle used in WW1 and just prior to WW2. The M1 Garand 30-06 was the American response to the German 8mm Mauser Rifle. This rifle was also used in the Korean War and at the beginning of the Vietnam War. Both the Army and Marines carried this rifle into combat.

Military History:
Manufacturers - Springfield Armory, Winchester, Harrington-Richardson, International Harvestor
Rifle Cartridge - 30.06 (7.62x63mm)
Weight = Range, 9.5 to 11.6 Lbs
Overall Length = 43.5 Inches
Barrel Length = 24 Inches
Action = Semi Automatic
Magazine - Internal, Stripper Clip Fed
Feed System = Gas Operated with 8-Round en bloc clip
First Production for Military Use = Early 1940
Total Production = Estimated Manufactured was 6.25 Million Rifles which was halted in the early 1980's
Standard Issue to all Army, Navy, and Marines in WW2 and Korea.
U.S. Conflicts = WW2, Korea, Early Vietnam.
Many other countries used this rifle for combat including the Israelis in the 1948 Arab-Israeli War.
The M1 Garand and M1 Carbine were both used at the start of the Vietnam War but were quickly replaced with the M14 (308, 7.62x51), and then by the M16 Assault Rifle (223).

The 30-06 is a large caliber high velocity round that can penetrate armored vest (see separate Topic on this Firearms Forum site: Body Armor Bullet Resistant Vest, What Works).

For more information on the M1 Garand 30-06 Military Rifle, see Youtube Videos below:
Firing the M1 Garand 30-06 Semi Automatic Rifle at the Gun Range ...


Complete Disassemly and Reassembly of the M1 Garand 30-06 Semi Automatic Rifle ...


Grenade Launcher for theWWII, M1 Garand 30-06 Rifle ...

Firing the M1 Garand 30-06 Semi Automatic Rifle ...



Please ADD Your Comment to this Blog.

Key Search Words: M1 Garand Rifle, 30-06, History, Firearms Forum, Firearms Discussion Board, Ask A Firearms Question, Q-n-A, Firearm Pictures, Test Firing, Cleaning Your Weapon, Firearm Accessories, Magazines, Stripper Clips, Armor Piercing Ammo, Big Game Ammo, Tracer Ammo, Gun Repair, Semi Auto Rifle, Target Shooting, Gunsmith, Physics of Shooting, Gun Rights, Outdoor Shooting Range, Twitter, Pinterest, Indoor Shooting Range, NRA, GOA, Safety First, Damaging Your Weapon, Gun Parts, Cabelas, Bass Pro Shops, USA Midway, Sportsman Warehouse, Defensive Weapons, Targets, Hunting, Weapons, The Firearms Guy, Gun Rust, Corrosion, Firearm Maintenance, Combat, Field Stripping a Weapon, Reloading, Dillon Precision Reloading Equipment, Military Weapons, Military Surplus Ammo, Ammunition, Protect Your Firearms, Military Collectibles, WWII, WW2, WW1, Korean War, Vietnam War, Army, Marines, Navy, USMC, Youtube Videos, Rifle Grenades, Bayonet, Cleaning the M1 Garand Rifle, M1 Carbine, WWII War Posters, Ammo Belt, Camouflage, M84 Telescope, M1C 30-06 Sniper Rifle, M1D 30-06 Sniper Rifle, Rifle Scope, Sniper Ammo, Ball Ammo, M1 Diagram, Videos, Military History,  

To submit a Question, email it to:

Help this blog grow by joining Google Friend Connect, follow me.

Please follow me on Twitter - @firearmsqa
And on Pinterest - askafirearmsque

119 comments:

  1. I would once again like to thank everyone who spent their time making the Youtube Videos and sharing them with fellow gun owners and military history buffs.

    Please support this site by leaving a COMMENT on this Firearms Forum site (Ask A Firearms Question).

    ReplyDelete
  2. simple put / a great job don this post / thank you firearms guy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you for that comment it is appreciated.

      Delete
  3. Hello - I inherited one of these from my Dad, have not shot it, production looks like it was made in 1946. Is this gun ok to shoot or should I just keep it as a collectible?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The better the condition the more it is worth to a military collector. I would at least shoot it once to make sure there are no issues and if there are get them repaired by a qualified gunsmith.

      Delete
  4. Any thoughts on using one of these for Elk Hunting ????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are quite a butt kicker. I use to hunt Deer on a regular basis with mine. I have also hunted Elk and Black Bear with one.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for posting my topic question here at the Firearms Forum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, please submit any further Topics you want posted.

      Delete
  6. All M1 Gun Owners should read this post.

    Please don't forget, I am running for Governor of Arizona in 2014, if you are an Arizona resident please vote for me. I am not affiliated with any party and I am running an Internet Only Campaign that will require Voters in Arizona to write in my name = DigitalMan
    First thing I will do is raise the minimum wage in Arizona to $15.00 per hour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have my full support, giv'em H-E-L-L

      Delete
    2. Good luck this would never work in Chicago.

      Delete
    3. Oooo $15.00 per hour minimum wage immediately no increments, I love it, wish I lived in Arizona. These politicians are gutless we need serious change, go for it, good luck.

      Delete
    4. Goooood Luck with that independent approach.

      Delete
    5. I don't live in Arizona but if I did I would vote for you. I do believe it is near impossible to unseat anything in the 2 party system because people are generally complacent and pretty much too set for any change.

      Delete
  7. Good stuff be here, as I have mentioned I am endorsing you on twitter as the best Firearms Forum on the Internet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree totally, most of these gun forums have idiots spouting off about crap they have no idea what they are talking about.

      This forum is clean, no nonsense and to the point.

      It gets my full endorsement as well.

      Delete
    2. You have my full endorsement as well.

      Delete
    3. Thank you all, and I have seen this posted on your Twitter Page.

      Delete
    4. I fully agree I also endorse you as the best damn firearms forum anywhere.

      Delete
    5. Damn straight this Forum has my full endorsement as the best ever.

      Delete
  8. I own one of these left to me by my father who served in WWII.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Like I posted under the 30 Caliber Carbine I had both many years ago. Purchased them in the 60's they were left over WWII war surplus. Sold my M1 Carbine but I still have the M1 30-06 Garand, which I will leave to my son when I die. These M1 30-06 semi autos are great rifles. The ammo is a powerful round capable of penetrating modern day armor bullet vest. They make great hunting rifles as well. I shoot both modern ammo like Remington. I also shoot M1 30-06 war surplus military grade ammo without any problems or issues. In fact my 30-06 has never jammed..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greta post, thank you, I agree totally.

      Delete
  10. First Time Visitor, over from Facebook - You did a very good job laying out this topic for the firearms forum. Lot to see not enough time will come back and check out more topics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you and yes please come back.
      As you may know Facebook screwed me and will not let me back into my page, so I am done with Facebook forever.

      Delete
  11. like the other m1 this post is of no interest to me i am a lady and and will settle in with and be happy with my handgun
    but this is one fine site and i like the thread and read

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your valued interest and continued support.

      Delete
  12. No takers here. I am not into military collecting, and I am no longer hunting, although the 30-06 has always interested me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great ammo round and an excellent rifle.

      Delete
  13. Another pretty damn interesting topic but military of the past is of no interest for this gun owner. Nice writeup though.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I bought one of these about 15 years ago, paid $300.00 for it, now it's worth about $900.00. I have been asked many times to sell my M1 Garand 30-06 but I wont part with it.
    These are great shooting rifles, made with pride and excellence.
    Mine has never jammed.
    I have put around 10,000 rounds through it with all kinds of ammunition, I just love this rifle.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sweet - Noah could have used one of these for animal control, the 2-legged animals.

    ReplyDelete
  16. like before on the M1 30 caliber carbine a good read but this weapon is not for me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem but thank you for the comment.

      Delete
  17. The troubles I have seen boggles the mind but my handy dandy star designator ray gun takes care of pesky unwanted trouble makers.

    I must be off now, I have Tribbles to deliver.

    ReplyDelete
  18. As I previously articulated on the M1 30 Caliber Carbine Topic; I have a M1 Garand, M1 30 Caliber Carbine, and a authentic German 8mm Mauser. I shoot them all, and am very familiar with the workings of each.
    I love my M1 30-06 Garand, it shoots flawlessly.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Referencing the previous posted topic about the M1 30 Carbine:
    My Dad left me both the M1 Carbine and the M1 Garand Rifles - I have never shot either, just in storage but I know the collector value is rising.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may want to take them out periodically, clean and lubricate them and wipe down the wood.

      Delete
  20. I strictly adhere to close in firearms, preferably 22 caliber silenced.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Simply put, one of the finest firearms ever built.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree this and the AK-47 are fine weapons.

      Delete
  22. My father carried one of these in the great war.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I never understood why the military got rid of this rifle and replaced it with the M14 (223) in Vietnam. All they had to do was convert the wood stock to a synthetic stock. More wasted tax dollars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After looking at the ballistics of the 30-06 I agree with you.

      Delete
    2. My Dad often spoke of this Rifle he used in Europe. I have to agree WTF is wrong with the U.S. Military? Why do we always have to reinvent the wheel?

      Delete
    3. I can agree with your assessment, They should have made the 30.06 for the M14 instead of the 308 NATO.

      Delete
    4. Looking at the 308 NATO M14 I agree they would have been better off to make the M14 in 30-06 a proven military dependable killing rifle.

      Delete
    5. The NATO 308 a.k.a. the M-14 assault rifle was conceived to satisfy NATO. Another pure case of America letting others dictate what we should do.

      Delete
    6. If u guys say so, I will bow to your expertise.

      Delete
    7. Gonna agree with this. I have no use for the 308 NATO.

      Delete
  24. than u 4 posting the big daddy

    ReplyDelete
  25. This rifle and the Russian AK-47 are the 2 finest military soldiers weapons ever made.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Fuzzy Bear Says ...
    nice writeup but of no interest to me.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Replies
    1. They are an excellent weapon, cannot go wrong.

      Delete
  28. my grandfather told me about this rifle he was at the Battle of the Bulge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It repeatedly prove its worthiness in WW2.

      Delete
  29. as I posted on the m1 30 carbine, i still prefer my ak47

    ReplyDelete
  30. I am a handgun person but this was worth a read.

    ReplyDelete
  31. 46 Trombones here again.
    Glad yo see you posted the M1 Carbines BIG Brother the M1 Garand 30.06 Rifle.
    Love this gun, I own two, one as a collectible in mint condition the other is both my shooter and hunting rifle. Yes I hunt with iron sights after all the animal needs an even chance. And, yes sir I do shoot military grade ball surplus ammo and have not had any issues to date, including no jamming.

    ReplyDelete
  32. As I posted on the M1 30 Carbine, good informative read but I prefer sticking to the more modern type of AR15 style weapon.

    ReplyDelete
  33. An excellent weapon but I prefer the AK-47, 7.62x39mm.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Personally I prefer my NEW M4/AR15 5.56 Armalite.

    ReplyDelete
  35. A superior weapon, sorry I ever sold mine.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Once again, thank u for the history lesson it was very good

    ReplyDelete
  37. Like I said on the M1 Carbine post, I sold off my 30-06, and have been selling off most of my firearm collection.
    It was a great shooting rifle.

    ReplyDelete
  38. My uncle left me one of the M1 30 Caliber Carbines.

    But thank you for this post and information.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Like I posted on the M1 30 Carbine, not for me. I stay with the modern weapons, where the ammo is easy to find for the most part. Also I prefer the synthetic stocks over wood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I have mentioned in the past, I too am into the more lightweight rapid fire newer type weapons.

      Delete
  40. Sunackhan say he rather have ak47

    ReplyDelete
  41. Nicely presented but of no interest to me.

    ReplyDelete
  42. As I previously posted on the M1 Carbine, like most prefer the more modernized US made weapons - the 5.56 and 308 NATO.

    Close the damn borders you idiots and deport all illegals now!

    ReplyDelete
  43. a very nice job , well done mr firearms guy .

    ReplyDelete
  44. As posted in the M1 Carbine Topic - I am an owner of the 30-06 M1 Garand Rifle, the M1 Carbine 30 Caliber Rifle, and the 8mm German Mauser.

    Today is 911 (September 11th) please remember all who have sacrificed.

    ReplyDelete
  45. I an a concealed handgun type of a guy.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Hey Morton get on up here and see this ....

    ReplyDelete
  47. i understand this is an excellent weapon but from days of old
    i will stick with the modern made up to date 556 and ak47

    ReplyDelete
  48. Another terrific post from you Mr. Firearms Guy, well done, great topic read.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Like I said on my comment in the 30 carbine topic, had one of these many tears ago, long gone now. I am into more modern hunting rifles and assault style weapons now.

    ReplyDelete
  50. A superb weapon I have owned one for years.

    ReplyDelete
  51. As I previously stated on your Topic Post for the M1 30 Cal Carbine - This is quite a nice read, but I am strictly into lightweight modern firearms with synthetic stocks and a high rate of rounds per minute.

    ReplyDelete
  52. To cover a similar topic under your 30 Caliber M1 Carbine, I said then and will repeat now: The older firearms such as the M1 Garand 30-06 Rifle was a great weapon for its time but was heavy and bulky. The modern style combat rifle referred by many as an assault rifle (weapon) is lighter and more adaptable allowing the Marine / combat soldier to carry more ammo and modify the weapon according to need with extras such as optics and magazine capacity.

    ReplyDelete
  53. sorry but as many have said i am one not part of the old military collectible crowd

    ReplyDelete
  54. Similar to your M1 Carbine post, but I am just not into these old military weapons.

    ReplyDelete
  55. Enjoyed this posted topic read like I did the M1 Carbine. I have no interest in any old military items or weapons but the post was great.

    ReplyDelete
  56. A whole lot of firepower to get rid of those dirty fur balls called cats.
    Really good for the deer that eat my corn though, and the stinking useless coyotes and wild pigs.

    ReplyDelete
  57. yep yep , uhuh uhuh , liking it i am

    ReplyDelete
  58. with all the fat people in the world today you need some kickass firepower to penetrate that mass of walking blubber.

    ReplyDelete
  59. I can see the fascination in owning one of these

    ReplyDelete
  60. I have become almost an entirely owned handgun and shotgun type of guy.

    ReplyDelete
  61. My uncle served in WW2, he bought a surplus one in 1960, used it for hunting, his son still uses it to hunt with.

    ReplyDelete
  62. i own a Norinco AK47 , i will stick with that

    ReplyDelete
  63. An excellent read, really enjoyed this topic.

    ReplyDelete
  64. I am not a collector, but I am a hunter, and these are great guns.

    ReplyDelete
  65. I don't own any rifles but I know from those who do these are an outstanding quality made American firearm.

    ReplyDelete
  66. Probably one of the finest rifles ever produced in the world.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry, this BLOG is closed, please feel free to review all post for information purposes only, comments are no longer permitted because of SPAM
Thank you,
The Firearms Guy

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.